This cemetery was begun in 1841 when James Sanford, originally of Steuben County, NY deeded property to what was then Tuscola Township for a burial ground. There were several organizations and individuals involved in the changes at the cemetery including an additional amount of land added to it in 1845 by the original donor. The size remained the same until 1892 when Joseph A. Russell sold the township 2 1/2 additional acres adjoining it on the eastern boundary. The Russell's sold additional land in 1913, and additional land was deeded to the township in 1939 by Wheeler A. Russell. The technical location is the north end of the west half of the southeast quarter of Section 27 of Cohoctah Township.
The following index of names which will be added soon, is taken from a list held at the township clerk's office or available soon through a new reading presently being done by a friend of mine.
Many thanks to information prepared by the Livingston County Bicentennial Committee. If you are truly interested in Livingston County research, specifically the Howell Area, a purchase of the book prepared by them would be a wise choice.
This cemetery is quite a large one and still growing and it was also included in the transcriptions of the 1940's when the DAR came to town. The three indexes were compiled into one which can be seen as the beginnings of the new tabular format of an index which includes the interred names and the cemetery names which are then linked to these individual cemetery pages.
© 2002 All Rights Reserved CFC Productions - http://www.LivGenMI.com/sanford.htm
For More Information Contact Pam Rietsch at: